Dysmenorrhea (painful periods) treatment can be considered effective when it provides sufficient relief from pain, cramping, nausea, bloating and other problems to allow women to perform all their regular activities.
The poster above explains treatment of dysmenorrhea (painful periods).
The right approach to treatment dysmenorrhea includes:
- Patient education: Knowing causes, signs and symptoms of dysmenorrhea will help the patient in seeking help and taking charge of their help
- Reassurance: Proper counselling helps reassure the girl/ woman that she will be cured of the recurring abdominal cramping, pain, nausea, etc.
- Treatment without medicine(s): This step aims at reducing symptoms by remedies such as application of heat pack to lower abdomen, exercises and relaxation techniques.
- Treatment with medicine(s): Depending on the severity of symptoms and degree of limitation of activity that each girl/ woman suffers, medical treatment includes use of:
- NSAIDs (Non-steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) such as MEFTAL-SPAS®, which decreases the levels of prostaglandins.
- Use of hormonal treatment pills which regulate the menstrual flow.
Consult a doctor to know about treatment and medications.
- Laboratory tests, imaging studies & other tests: When period pain doesn’t get treated with medicines, it indicates an existing gynaecological disease such as endometriosis, adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts. After laboratory tests and imaging tests confirm the disease the further course of treatment is prescribed.
We recommend you learn about dysmenorrhea (painful periods) symptoms, causes and treatment with these 3 posters from #WhySufferSilently
Do you have any of the following questions?
- What is the cause of dysmenorrhea?
- What are prostaglandins?
- Is dysmenorrhea dangerous?
- How do I prevent dysmenorrhea?
- Why are my periods so painful?
Disclaimer: The contents of this blog have been simplified to enable an elementary understanding of dysmenorrhea (painful periods). This blog does not constitute medical advice.